Sunday, February 26, 2006

California - the Auto Club 500



I ripped on JJ in an earlier post for crashing the field so many times last year, but last week's Daytona victory - despite a suspended crew chief - along with many trips to Lowe's setting up my garage - have converted me to a Jimmie Johnson fan. I have decided to base all of my future home improvement shopping on races. I realize this is ridiculous, but I have totally succumbed to the power of NASCAR marketing. If Tony Stewart finishes ahead of Jimmie Johnson, then I'm back to shopping at Home Depot.

Here are my picks for the Auto Club 500 in Fontana:

Jimmie Johnson
Jeff Gordon
Jamie McMurray
Kasey Kahne
and rookie Denny Hamlin (Hey, if Joe Gibbs is confident enough to stick him in a race car, who am I to doubt him? Gibbs races to win.)

The first three should prove to be rock solid picks - they have all done well at intermediate tracks. Kasey Kahne is a sleeper, and looks good in the roster for the future also, so it could be a good time to pick him up before he gets expensive, and Denny Hamlin is worth a shot, considering the other guys in his price range haven't fared real well in Fontana in the past.

My only reservation was dumping Jr., but he has never finished well on this track, and doesn't really shine on any intermediate tracks, so even though I wish him well, and will fly his flag, I expect him to be cheaper after the race, and maybe I can pick him up again.